VERTICAL AXIS WIND TURBINE (VAWT)
The Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWTs) are 'soft' wind turbines on submerged floating platforms. These 'soft' wind turbines include: (1) the vertical axis wind turbines that are 'soft' and unidirectional; and (2) the horizontal axis downwind turbines that are 'soft' and will follow and bend with the wind. These 'soft' wind turbines:
• will cost less to manufacture;
• can be placed on floating platforms to harness the strong wind at sea, over shallow as well as deep waters;
• can be towed to and anchored at the offshore windfarm sites, and avoid the high costs of offshore
foundations and installation; and
• can be towed back to shipyards for repairs and maintenance,
• avoiding the danger and high costs of offshore repairs and maintenance.